Winter evenings are incomplete without a hot bowl of carrot, ginger and apple soup. Its mild, nutritious, guilt-free, filling and above all super quick and easy.
Its my favourite to go dinner recipe almost every third day. Not only is this soup healthy and low in calories, it also helps build your immune and keeps you warm in cold winter evenings.
Now this is a combination that I love. I also drink this as my mid-morning snack but in the form of juice. I juice together carrots, apples and ginger. So, I thought why not mix it with some warm spices, top it with pine nuts and some cream, and turn it into a complete meal. Trust me, it tastes amazing. The base is definitely carrots, apples, and blended with ginger, some onions, a clove of garlic if you like to do so.
Lets get started with the recipe now.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1"-piece ginger, peeled, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley and/or pine nuts to garnish (optional)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and translucent (reduce heat if browning). Add garlic and ginger, cook a minute more. Add remaining ingredients, cover, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until carrot and apple are very tender, about 15minutes.
- Transfer soup to a standing blender and puree. Taste and add more salt if needed. Garnish bowls with chopped parsley, freshly ground pepper, and/or sumac, as desired.
Have you tried the classic minestrone soup on my blog yet?? Here is the recipe to it.