December is a month of Celebrations with Christmas and New Year together. My dad’s birthday and wedding anniversary comes in December which makes it all the more special and I just get more reasons to bake.Christmas is incomplete without a fruit cake. This cake is perfectly soft, moist, crumbly with loads of fruits and nuts making it way too good!!!
Traditionally the dried fruits and nuts are soaked in Rum or Wine months before christmas so that they are perfect when ready to bake. The soaking is important as the rum or wine is completely infused with the fruits and nuts. If you want to avoid alcohol, you can soak them in grape juice, orange juice or apple juice. I personally prefer Orange & Grape Juice. Also, an important ingredient that adds so much to the flavour and the colour of the cake is brown sugar. The cake tastes absolutely divine with brown sugar.
Use your favourite combination of fruits and nuts. The fruits I used were black raisins, cherries, prunes, dates, mixed peels, apricots, tutti fruity and the nuts included macadamia nuts, cashew nuts & almonds. I added some walnuts too. You can avoid any of these as per your convenience.
The cake recipe is a very easy eggless cake recipe that we always use.
Lets get started with the recipe now.
- FOR SOAKING IN ORANGE JUICE:
- ¼th cup Chopped Cashews
- ¼th cup Chopped Almonds
- ¼th cup Chopped Walnuts
- ¼th cup Black Raisin
- ¼th cup Tutty Fruity
- ¼th cup Citrus Peels
- ¼th cup Apricots
- ¼th cup Dates
- ¼th cup Cherries Finely Chopped
- 1½ cup Fresh Orange Juice
- FOR THE MAIN CAKE BATTER
- 1.5 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾th cup Brown Sugar ( You can add less or more as per your taste)
- 80 gms Softened Butter
- ½ can Condensed Milk/ Full Cream Milk/ Amond Milk/ Soy Milk
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- FOR THE SPICE MIX
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ¼th tsp Cardamom Powder
- ½ tsp Nutmeg Powder
- ¼ tsp All Spice Powder
- Firstly chop all the dried fruit and nuts in a bowl. Pour in the orange juice. Transfer to a tight jar and soak it for 24 hour or minimum overnight.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together and keep aside in a bowl.
- In another bowl beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add the condensed milk. Mix really well. Now add the dry ingredients in batches and combine everything together. You may add some orange or grape juice from the soaked fruits if the batter is thick. I added about 3 to 4 tbsp of orange juice.
- Add in the spice mix, Vanilla extract and squeezed fruits and nuts. The batter would be thick not runny.
- Pour the batter in a greased pan, this batter suffices for a 9" cake tin, I used two 4 inches bundt cake tin. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40 mins at 160 degrees.
I hope you have an amazing day!! If you happen to make this pie then don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook where you can find me with the username “cookingdiarybyshruti”.
If you are looking for any queries or collaborations then mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lots of Love