TARTS !! ( My All Time Favorite :D)
As a kid, Tarts always attracted me at the bakery shop….. I enjoyed them more than anything….. Well back then i never thought i would be trying making them at home…. Hell Yeah!!! I MADE THEM :D………… It didn’t take long for it to become my family’s favorite tooo…. I have been requested to make these tarts again and again 🙂 😀
This classic Fruit Tart has three components, a beautiful edged sweet pastry crust, a luscious pastry and custard cream, and lots of rows of fresh fruit. It looks enticing whether you use a single fruit or a medley of fruits and berries. As i always say ” YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN VERSION”
The components of the Fruit Tart can be made a few days in advance….. But you will enjoy the most when you assemble it….. They are sooo gorgeous looking that you wont be able to stop adoring them….. And Yess…Be careful – they will finish within minutes. The cookie like pastry crust has a sweet flavor and a crisp texture…The crust is pre-baked in advanced and once cooled…. I like to seal it with chocolate!! You could use anything of your choice like… Jam (of any flavor) or chocolate or strawberry syrup etc….. The choice is yours.
The sealing of the crust with chocolate or jam prevents the filling from softening the crust over time!!
Of course, the first thing you notice about a fruit tart is the fruit. The fruits can be arranged in concentric circles or rows, or it can be randomly piled on the cream. There are so many fruits to choose from but it is important that the fruit looks and tastes its best. “ Try use as fresh fruits as you can. ” While berries, with their vibrant colors, are always popular, other fruits are nice as well. Slices of kiwi, pineapple, melon, peaches, plums, nectarines, and mango are some fruits that work well. If you like, you can glaze the fruit with either an apricot glaze or red currant jelly (for red colored fruits) to give the fruit a beautiful shine and it also prevents the fruit from drying out.
Makes about 4-5 tarts.
Prep Time- 1 hour ( Including the dough resting period)
For the Tart Shells:
All Purpose Flour- 250 gms (1 1/2 cup)
Unsalted Butter- 150 gms
Castor Sugar- 50 gms
Salt- A pinch
Vegetable oil- 1/4 cup
Melted Chocolate or Jam- 2 Tbsp (Optional)
For the filling:
Whipped Cream( Sweet)- 50 gms
Vanilla Custard- 50 gms
For the Toppings:
2 cups of Fresh Fruits( Strawberries, Kiwi, Grapes, Berries, Mango, Pineapple, Dragonfruit, Plums, Melon etc)
Dark Chocolate Chips/ White Chocolate Chips (Optional)
Preheat the oven for about 15-20 mins at 180 degree.
1. Rub in the butter and flour together until fine.
2. Add sugar, oil and salt and form a dough ball.
3. Refrigerate the dough for about 15 mins so that it is easier to handle.
4. Once chilled…. Take it out and roll it with the help of a rolling pin in a dusted surface.
5. Once you have rolled out the dough… Cut it with the help of a pie or tart maker of the desired size.
6. Now very softly line your Tart shell….Be very careful… ( I had a problem because i have long nails 😛 …. I had to cut them to be more perfect :)) )
7. Once you have lined your tart makers…. Place them in the oven and bake them for about 20 mins. Check them and once they are crisp and golden take them out.
8. They are very delicate……….. so let them cool down before you start adding you toppings,
9. Simply mix same quantities of whipped cream and vanilla custard to get a Pastry Cream for your tarts.
10. Cut all the fruits in the shape and size you like and let it chill in the refrigerator.
11. Its time for assembling and the final touch up….. Line your tarts with melted chocolate or jam to avoid it getting soggy later on.
12. Then add pastry cream and top it up with fresh fruits. 😀 😀
The most amazing Fresh Fruit Tarts are now ready to serve.
Serve chilled !!!
Do not overfill the tarts…. just fill it enough !
Avoid fruits like apple or banana’s if you are serving later on as they get black with time.
ENJOY BAKING :d