This Noodles in a Curry is called Khao Soi and is inspired by the traditional khao soi from Thailand. There are various versions of Noodles in a Curry that you can make and experiment with..completely depending on the flavours that you enjoy the most.
This one is with a mildly spiced thai coconut curry which can be made using the store bought red chilli paste. Also a lot of fried garlic, fresh onions, cabbage, sesame seeds and a lot more. It’s a godsend when time is short, or you are feeling a bit lazy, yet you crave something warm and spicy. The coconut broth is fragrant and rich, coating the noodles well. And once the flavourful base is made, what you put in the soup is very adaptable.
Its perfect for a lazy Sunday. Lets get started with the recipe now.
- Rice Noodles- ½ packet
- Vegetable oil- 2 Tbsp
- Onions- 2 to 3 sliced
- Ginger- Finely Chopped 1 Tbsp
- Garlic Cloves- 8 to 10 sliced
- Thai Red Curry Paste-1 Tbsp
- Coconut Milk- 1 can
- Cabbage- Thinly Sliced ½ cup
- Red Chilli Powder- 2 tbsp
- Lemon- 2
- Crushed Peanuts- ½ cup (Optional)
- Roasted Sesame Seeds- ¼th Cup (Optional)
- Spring Onion Greens- handful
- Garnish with fresh basil or cilantro, bean sprouts, scallions, or thinly sliced red onions.
- Place noodles in boiling water and boil according to packet instructions. Keep it aside.
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add ginger. Saute until fragrant and golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red curry paste. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, water and bring to a simmer, stirring. Once gently simmering add the bell pepper, soy, sugar and chili garlic sauce, salt. Give a generous squeeze of lime. Taste, adding more lime / or salt if necessary.
- In a small pan, heat some oil, add the sliced garlic, and cook until is golden. Take it off the flame and add 2 tbsp of chilli powder. Now you have a chilli garlic oil ready which you can add on top of the noodles for some extra spice.
- Alternatively, divide noodles into bowls, and ladel soup over top.
- Garnish with fresh basil, peanuts,cilantro, sesame seeds, thinly sliced red onion and chopped green onions and a wedge of lime.
- Notes- you can make the soup the day before and keep in the fridge, keeping the noodles separate ( they will swell in the soup) and simply reheat.
For any queries or collaborations please contact me on email@example.com