Mid-week supper has to be something light, easy and extremely delicious so that you can pull off the next two days until Weekend. These Mushroom & Cheese Quesadillas are just apt for it.
A quesadilla is a flour tortilla or a corn tortilla filled with a savoury mixture and lots of cheese and covered with another tortilla and cut into a pizza like shape. Quesadilla can be served with salsa, sour cream or simple plain. It has a lot of cheese including processed cheese, mozzarella cheese and yellow cheddar cheese. These enhance the flavor and texture of the dish. The filling however can be of your choice. You could go for a mix veg version or a paneer version. The choice is totally yours.
You can also call them as a Mexican style stuff pancakes, like a toasted sandwich, made with two tortillas sandwiched together with a cheese based filling. They are warmed through and meant to be served hot. Some people like to fry their quesadillas in oil, but I don’t like it that way. It makes them extremely oily and unhealthy. I like to put them in a dry non-stick frying pan on a medium heat , so that after a minute or two you are left with a really crispy outside and an oozy stringy filling.
P.S- Quesadillas are really easy to make. If you are a beginner at cooking Mexican Food.. try these and you will be amazed with the way they turn out to be.
The Tortillas can either be ready to eat or you can make them at home. Its really easy. I prefer fresh home made tortillas. All you have to do is mix four ingredients- Flour, Salt, Oil and Water and form and dough. Roll it out and put them in a dry non-stick pan on medium heat and let it stay there for about a minute on each side & voila …your fresh homemade tortillas will be ready. They have a shelf-life for about a day or two. You just have to keep them covered.
The filling for the Quesadillas completely depends on your choice. I have prepared a basic mushroom and cheese version.You can fill in any other combination of veggies you prefer. The choice is totally yours. However, for a classic version of Veg Quesadillas, Corn..Tomatoes..Green Chilli and Cottage Cheese is preferred.
- FOR FRESH TORTILLAS
- Flour- 1½ cup
- Oil- 1 Tbsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Water- As Required
- FOR TORTILLA STUFFING:
- Mushrooms- 100 gms
- Corn- ½ cup ( Boiled)
- Tomatoes- 1 (Finely Chopped)
- Onion- 1 (Finely Chopped)
- Green Chilli-1 (Finely Chopped)
- Salt- To Taste
- Pepper- ¼th Tsp
- Chilli Flakes- ¼th Tsp
- Fajita Seasoning- ½ Tsp
- Oil- For cooking
- Processed and Mozzarella Cheese- 50 gms
- To make Fresh Tortillas, In a large bowl mix all the ingredients given under the Tortillas recipe and form a dough. Cover the dough with a wet cloth.
- Heat oil in a pan, then add green chilli and onion. Saute for a min, then add corn, tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and fajita seasoning. Just cook them for about 2 mins.
- Now,Evenly divide the dough into round chapati balls and Roll out the dough similar to a chapati, and cook on a non- stick pan. Just cook for 1 min on each side. Cook all the tortillas and keep them aside.
- Take a thin tortilla and spread the filling and top it up with cheese. Now put the second tortilla on top and press it to make it stick. Cook it in a non stick pan by pressing it on both sides till crisp.
- Cut like pizza wedges and serve hot along with SALSA