Hello Lovely Readers,
Wishing each one of you a very Happy Dhanteras and Diwali. May the festival of lights bring you health and prosperity. Here is a very special dish that I made today which is one of my favourites.
Malpua is a pancake served as a dessert or a snack originating from the Indian Subcontinent, popular in India. You can team it up with rabdi or it is just as it is. I like to eat it with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾th Cup Sugar
- ¾th Cup Yogurt
- ¼th Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- ¼th Tsp Pepper Powder
- Few strands of Saffron
- ¼th Cup Chopped Nuts ( I used Almonds and Pistachios)
- 1 Cup Desi Ghee for frying
- For the Sugar Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- A few Strands of Saffron
- Icecream to top with.
- For the Malpuas:
- In a bowl mix together, flour, sugar, cardamom powder, pepper powder, fennel seeds and saffron.
- Add in yogurt and mix together. Make sure you fold it in with very light hands and not over mix. If the batter seems thick add in ¼th cup milk. It should be of medium consistency.
- In a heavy bottom flat pan, heat ghee. Once the ghee is hot, add a laddle full of the mixture and fry it until golden or as per your liking.
- While the Malpuas are frying, prepare the sugar syrup. Add sugar and water in a pan and let it simmer for about 10 to 15 mins until its thick. Add in the saffron and let it cook until desired consistency.
- For serving, I stacked the malpuas like pancakes, poured the sugar syrup, topped it with some ice-cream and some chopped pistachios and saffron.