Sometimes simple is the best. This basic and eggless Strawberry and Almond Cake is just that. Its really simple in terms of the fact that you can whip it up in a single bowl, throw in fresh strawberries and almonds, use very basic ingredients and bake it for about 40 mins and voila..Your cake is ready.
When strawberries are in season this one is a must try. I have made these like thrice a week..Yes, I am that obsessed with these ones. They are really easy and my go to dessert whenever I am craving something. You can substitute the strawberries with apples or blueberries. I have made a Blueberry Loaf which you can find HERE.
Lets get started with the recipe now.
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼th Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Sugar + 2 Tbsp Extra
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- ¾th Cup Milkmaid
- ¼th Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries
- ½ Cup Almond Flakes
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees. Brush a 9" cake tin with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until the mixture is light and pale. With mixer on low, add in the milkmaid.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined
- Pour half the batter into the tin and add half cup of strawberries.Add the other half of the batter followed by adding the other half of sliced strawberries. Top with flaked almonds and dust the remaining sugar.
- Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.
- * You can make your own buttermilk. Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar to 1 cup milk and let the mixture rest for 5-7 minutes.