Hello Lovely Readers,
These Strawberry Hand Pies are flaky, sweet, juicy and baked to perfection. These were so yummy that I actually wanted to sell them at a bakery and wanted everyone to taste it. #Justathought
My super simple Strawberry Pie recipe is loaded with fresh strawberries and a homemade strawberry sauce. Doesn’t that sound mouth watering?? You will find this pie to be similar to the ones you can find at bakeries during strawberry season. The crust is very basic, topped with strawberries and heaps of strawberry sauce. You can go a step ahead and top it with some whipped cream or even ice cream…the more the better right?
This is my third dessert recipe in a row, on this new website and if I had to pick 1 among the three it would definitely be this one. This recipe is a Star clearly, as its super easy to put together, rich in flavors and a single serve dessert perfect for winters.
P.S- If you are a strawberry lover this recipe is definitely for you.
I love making pies. Some of you might find it really scary to make pies from basic all by yourself. Trust me its one of the easiest things you can bake and its no rocket science. Just a couple of ingredients and a flaky & buttery pie crust is ready. You can use a store bought pie crust too but I like making mine. If you are a beginner don’t worry as the recipe is really simple and all the details will be in the Recipe Booklet Below.
I have many pie and tart recipes on the blog, but this one is my favorite. If most of you would know me, its clearly because its my favorite strawberry pie. I keep looking for recipes which are easy and ready in a jiffy. This recipe has 2 parts. One is making flaky pie crust and second making strawberry sauce. It might sound complex but it will be easy if you follow the instructions clearly.
Some Common Mistakes that you can avoid while making Pies are:
1. Not Chilling the Pie dough:
I did this mistake for the first time when I made a pie. My pie was hard as a rock. Nothing beats a tender and flaky pie crust. And the key to make a perfect pie crust is chilling the dough for atleast 30 mins. If you are wondering why is this important is because it lets the butter to solidify again and lets the gluten relax and deactivate. If you don’t follow this crucial step your pie crust is most likely to shrink while baking.
2. Not using Chilled Butter:
Baking is really about the rules. We tend to avoid things like this when mentioned in the recipe. It seems less important. But you need to keep every step in mind while baking. Using a chilled butter is really important while kneading the dough. This helps to deactivate the gluten that can be formed while kneading. If you use a warm butter it will activate the gluten in the dough.
3. Over Kneading the Dough:
Whenever you make a pie crust, just combine the dough softly with your hands. It need not be perfect. It will be crumbly. Over Kneading the dough will never give you a flaky crust. Just combine the dough together and refrigerate it.
4. Throwing the pie right into the oven before baking:
Another really common mistake. You need to chill your pie for atleast 15 to 20 mins before you put it for baking. This is because while you are working with the dough the temperature of the dough rises again because of the warmth of your hands. You have to chill it again once you have filled it with your filling so that the gluten is deactivated.
5. Serve it while its hot
I know its really difficult to stop yourself once it is out of the oven…But a hot pie directly from the oven is a really bad idea. You need to cool it for atleast 1 hour before serving so that it sets naturally. Allow it to cool down.
So what are you waiting for, try this amazing recipe.
- FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- All purpose flour- 120 gms
- Chilled Unsalted Butter- 60 gms (cut in cubes)
- Vanilla Extract- 1 tsp
- Baking Powder- ¼th tsp
- Sugar- 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt- ¼th tsp (if you are using salted butter you can skip this)
- Chilled Water- 2 to 3 tbsp
- FOR THE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- Finely chopped strawberries- 2 cups
- Castor Sugar- 1 cup
- Lemon Juice- ½ tsp
- Lemon Zest- ½ tsp
- For Filling:
- Fresh Strawberries- Cut in Half
- Pistachios Flakes- For decorating (Optional)
- For the Pie Crust:
- In a clean work surface, take the all purpose flour and add the chilled butter in cubes. Use a fork to break down the butter until the flour become crumbly.
- Now add sugar, salt and baking powder. Make sure you work with really light hands.
- Mix the vanilla extract and water together. Now drizzle 1 tsp of the mix at a time to combine a dough.
- Do not add excess water. Just add enough to combine the dough. The dough will be crumbly. Form a ball, cover it with a cling wrap and let it chill for atleast 30 mins.
- Once the dough is chilled…roll it out roughly till it is ½ inch thick, and line it in your desired pie shell, I have used single serve size. Make sure the edges are neat. Now keep it in the fridge for about 20 mins. After 20 mins, bake it in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 mins. Your pie crust is now ready.
- For Strawberry Sauce:
- In a non-stick pan, add strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Cook this until the sugar melts along with the strawberries. Now let this mix cool down after cooking for about 10 mins and puree it to form fresh strawberry sauce.
- For Serving:
- Line strawberries in the pie crust, and top with strawberry sauce. Serve Chilled.
For any queries and collaborations contact me at : email@example.com
If you cook or bake anything from Cooking Diary By Shruti…Please Share the Pictures on Instagram or Facebook and Tag @cookingdiarybyshruti. I would love to see them. Also I would feature it on my blog.